Thursday, January 22, 2015

Brooding Sky

30 Paintings of Comfort and Joy, Number Thirteen



Changing, shifting light under the gently rolling clouds.

I have been struggling with my lighting the past couple of weeks.  This painting was particularly tricky because of its size and the strength of my light bulbs.  They do fine with the 6x6" paintings but this larger one gave me a few headaches.  So I decided I needed to wait until I could get some good outdoor light.  Then it rained.  And snowed.  Then it was too dark by the time I got home from work.  I know this sounds like a whine, but truly the Universe seemed to be against me on this one.

Proper lighting of artwork can make a huge difference in the look of your artwork.  In the home as well as posting photos online.
With more light toward the center of the painting.


With more light near the upper right of the painting.


Outdoors in the shade on a cloudy day using the Auto setting of my camera.

The photo at the top was not in the shade but it was a cloudy day and I used the P function of my camera to select the setting for shooting on a cloudy day.  You can see how the differing lights affect the overall feeling of the painting.

"Brooding Sky"
9" x 12" oil on Gessobord
This painting is available through Daily Paintworks Auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment