Sunday, May 28, 2017

Dangerous Waters

Confession Time.
Art is happening, but it is happening slowly.  And the weather is crummy which makes taking photos of the art that IS happening next to impossible.

I have four new completed pieces.


I started this back in January and wasn't satisfied with it.  I went back to it and made some adjustments and I'm much happier with the result.
24" x 24" [needs a name].



Another for the Serpent Series.  24" x 48" [needs a name].

I have two paintings that I intended to be part of the Serpent Series however, they both have definite shark shapes, which I love.  I'm thinking they might belong in their own series.  I'm open to suggestions for the name of that series.


I showed this one during some in-process stages but I'm really happy with how it has turned out.
18" x 24" [needs a name].  [needs a series name]


This one I did while shooting video for a friend.  I enjoyed this new experience but painting while filming a video is very distracting.  Some day I may try again.  I've got nothing on Bob Ross, that's for sure.
Dangerous Waters, 24" x 24" [needs a series name]

One more brand-new piece is on my easel.  It is a huge 24"x 48" canvas and while it fits the theme of my Serpent Series, it is really a departure from my usual style.  Every time I do something outside of my comfort zone it is an opportunity for growth but what often happens not only with me, but with many artists is, when we get to a point in the middle of a painting, we get frustrated and stuck.  If it's work we are comfortable with, we can power through (or sometimes limp through) to get past the really hard part so that we can finish and be satisfied with the result.  When a painting is a challenge from the beginning though, that middle bit where we get stuck feels insurmountable.  I have paintings I started years ago that are still stuck in that middle bit and I don't know if they'll ever be finished.

I had one painting in a gallery show recently and that is always fun.  Despite my shyness, I do have a good time meeting new people and seeing old art friends at gallery receptions.  Also, I have just entered several pieces into an event online.  I am wary of online events simply because it's really easy for disreputable companies to take your money and you'd have no recourse.  This event was recommended by a friend who is a member of the website, so I felt safe in joining the event.  So far, the number of entries for this particular show is fairly small.  We are nearing the entry deadline so that is a bonus.  Fewer entries increases the odds that I could win a prize.  [fingers crossed]

Follow me on Instagram for lots of cryptic, in-process photos of whatever is happening on my easel and (sometimes) in my life:
http://www.instagram.com/karimelenartist/

I am happy to report that I passed my math course at college and my new job is hard but enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Kari, wonderful to see and hear what you've been up to. You are a busy gal! Love that top piece, and I'm intrigued by how different the bottom piece looks, relative to my [limited] familiarity with your work. The top piece has a there-is-SO-much-more-going-on-in-water-than-we-can-see-with-the-naked-eye feel to it. The bottom piece has an it's-on-the-tip-of-my-tongue feel to it; i.e. it feels like I know "what it is" and can ALMOST identify it, but it keeps eluding me. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support, Dotty. One thing about the bottom painting is that the colors are very muted compared to what I usually produce. I wanted the color to be a counterbalance to the power of the sharks and of the water.

    ReplyDelete