Monday, January 30, 2017

Day 30 - All the Paintings

The Collection



Some are incomplete but still quite interesting.  Seeing them all together, there is a lot of cohesion because of the repeating colors as well as multiple paintings with drip lines and scales patterns.

Through this month I have learned so much about my preference to work on several pieces at one time.  Being able to set aside a piece and come back to it later helps me to really see the piece better.  Multiple photo images during the process help me see the challenges with a painting and help guide me to the next step.  Taking photos and checking them in black-and-white helps me to see if there is enough contrast for visual interest.

Working on several pieces at one time also reduces the pressure I put on myself to finish a painting before walking away.  I don't feel the need to dedicate several hours at a time in the studio.  I can pop down for 15 minutes and still make progress.

 That was critical for me this month.

My month began very quietly, as January often does.  Then all h#ll broke loose.  It always does.  What is UP with January, anyway?  My time in the studio is limited because of a full time job unrelated to art.  I knew I was starting a new semester at college on the 19th so the paintings needed to be mostly done and posts needed to be mostly written by that time.  My husband got very ill and was in the hospital for 6 days then promptly got the stomach flu when he came home.  My daughter got the stomach bug about a week later.  Both of them are feeling much better now, thank goodness!  But you can see how this impacted my possible time in the studio.

My math professor at college has given us a task of filling out a schedule sheet so she can see exactly how long each day we intend to dedicate to math work.  I am definitely scheduling time for art and plan to sneak in the studio whenever I can.

At the beginning of the month I read a book called, "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert and one of the things she mentions about making time for creativity is treating it like a love affair.  If you were having a love affair, the rest of your life would not stop.  You would find time to sneak away and be with your lover.  Stolen moments, so to speak.  Art is my passion and I need to give it attention.  Sneaking away from the rest of life to be with my art sounds wonderful.  Thinking about it being a secret rendezvous makes it so enticing!

I am so thankful to everyone who visited this month.  Your comments have encouraged me immeasurably.  I hope you will come back and visit from time to time.  I doubt I will continue posting every day but with my new practice of sharing my process, I feel at ease with doing just that, rather than only posting when a painting is finished.  Some of my paintings will be for sale on Etsy and I will post when they are there.  You can also follow me on Instagram.  I'm karimelenartist.

30 in 30 Blog.

4 comments:

  1. Kari, love your collection—it looks SUPER. I'm hoping to put my January pieces into a collection image (but don't hold your breath). I so appreciate your frank discussion of the big picture of your January with its many twists and turns. That glimpse of life process, so to speak, is akin to the many glimpses of your art process—all of which (work, play, sickness, health) are such a gift. I identify with you stolen moments in your studio and I, for one, hope you make good on your intention to continue posting the intermediate steps of process instead of waiting to post until a painting is finished. SO glad to have discovered you and your painting this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing your completed 30 days paintings and the discussion of your January! Mine was complicated both with a fun reunion of estranged family AND physical issues for my husband and me. January is my birth month, so it's always about renewal, and this was no exception. What a joy to paint almost daily and to post daily and to learn and grow from others doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all. I have enjoyed seeing you all this month and hope to keep some momentum going in the studio.

    ReplyDelete